Police have fired tear gas to disperse Makerere University students’ assembly at the Freedom Square.
Lectures have also been disrupted and students forced out of the lecture rooms.
Students were also seen running from Lumumba, Mary Stuart and Mitchell halls after police lobbed teargas canisters.
This ensued following communication shared by Ahmed Abdirahman, the MINISTER FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS after meeting with University Leadership failed to agree.
He notified students in his communication and gave directives as;
“In today’s meeting, we as the Students Guild put forward demands but none of them was met.
By Power vested in me by the Guild Constitution and being in charge of the Academic Welfare of students,
I call upon each Makererean to stand in solidarity and adhere to the following,
– No one should attend any lecture. ( if our colleagues who cannot afford the hiked tuition cannot be in class, then all of us should not be in the class). No lectures tomorrow.
– The University Library is officially out of bounds tomorrow until our cries are hard by Government and council.
– All of us will peacefully match and convene at the Freedom Square for A GENERAL ASSEMBLY . (attendance is a must)
– No Test, course work or any form of assignments be given to students in such circumstances. We deserve respect.
– No breaking of University Property. We remain as determined and peaceful in demanding for our rights.
– Remember the above
Eeeeeee Makerere oyeeeeeeee.
WE BUILD FOR THE FUTURE
MINISTER FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
85th MAKERERE STUDENTS GUILD
POWERFUL KJ GOVERNMENT”